The 4350water Blog highlights some of the issues relating to proposals for potable reuse in Toowoomba and South East Qld. 4350water blog looks at related political issues as well.

Friday, November 09, 2007

Toowoomba regional council election - Berghofer, Manners slam $2m rumours ...

Excerpt from the Chronicle (annotated):

Berghofer, Manners slam $2m rumours

No cash on offer for mayoral campaign

9 November 2007

Millionaire developer Clive Berghofer scoffed at rumours he was backing a $2 million campaign for Toowoomba Regional mayoral hopeful Snow Manners.

And while Cr Manners threw his head back and belly laughed when he heard of the claims, Mr Berghofer got angry.

"Love to know who starts ail this bull****", he snarled.

"If I was to give away $2 million I’d give it to QMR (Queensland Medical Research), I don’t have to waste $2 million getting someone elected."

Mr Berghofer and Cr Manners were drawn together as allies in the successful No Vote campaign during the ugly recycled water for drinking poll that divided the city last year.

Talk has been rife of a clandestine lunch where Mr Berghofer endorsed Cr Manners and supposedly offered the campaign funding.

"Just put things in context John Howard wouldn’t spend $2 million on his campaign."

"They talk garbage. If Snow spent $100,000, I’d imagine it would be a big campaign. I didn’t support Snow financially, just morally, last campaign and I would prefer not to put anything into his next campaign because the minute you put money in to it they say you have a pecuniary interest."

Mr Berghofer labelled the rumour a smear. He said he didn’t want any favours from anyone.

"I just want sensible people there who can do a sensible job," he said. [Damn right!]

With five months until the March 15 election, Mr Berghofer expects candidates to "jump out of the woodwork" but already is leaning towards Cr Manners.

"Snow is pretty intelligent. He’s got no connections with much. He’s got plenty of time up his sleeve, (he’s) semi-retired and I’ve found him a pretty switched on sort of guy."

Meanwhile, Cr Manners says he has set aside his $39,000 councillor earnings, since elected in October 2006, for his campaign.

"I hope I don’t have to spend all that, but I do know that I have a lot of grass roots support and I’m sure there are a lot of people who are going to tip in $10 or $20 along the way."

"Clive Berghofer has never allocated one cent to my election as a councillor and I would not be expecting Clive Berghofer to present one cent in a mayoral campaign because I cannot be obligated to anybody other than the ordinary people," he said.

At each local government election, Mr Berghofer proffers his preferred mayor and preferred council. Ultimately, his chosen mayor has been elected, but his strike rate for chosen councillors is yet to net the full complement

Cr Manners said: "I know well enough that Clive’s verbal support and endorsement is worth far more than money and that, if Clive Berghofer, who’s been around this city a long time and knows everybody and his dog, says Snow Manners is a good candidate that is worth more than money can buy."

"Therefore I’m happy to receive Clive's endorsement should he wish to give it."

"I’ve always said if a man stands for mayor that I could respect and get behind I would not stand for mayor, but at this point in time there has been no such candidate."

"I’m not a career politician. I think I would make a very good mayor."

"I would hold that position until I see a man who I think may be a better mayor and if a man who I think will be a better mayor comes along then I will back right out of it and support him 100% because this isn’t a career choice that I’ve set my mind on — we don’t want career politicians in City Hall."

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a real backfire on the whisperering yes campaigners. Why give such a free kick to Snow? Have they learnt nothing from their silly tactics over the past 2 years? Apparently not.

1:57 PM, November 10, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home