The 4350water Blog highlights some of the issues relating to proposals for potable reuse in Toowoomba and South East Qld. 4350water blog looks at related political issues as well.

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Toowoomba City Councillors - former councillors - where are they now ...

Feather-duster tales ...

Excerpt from the Chronicle:

Council poll losers: Where are they now?

9 May 2008

Most of the ousted Toowoomba city councillors have re-established their lives, but Sue Englart says she's still waiting for her "direction".

"I now know how John Howard felt - although he got a huge pension. There was no payout for us," she said.

Ms Englart says: I'm embarrassed and I don't want people to feel sorry for me, but I want a job."

Since being ousted from the March 15 election that put former country shire mayors and deputies in 9 out of the 10 seats around the extended councillors' table, the feisty red-head has been left with her five-hour a week job at the Elders sale yards.

She has reluctantly joined the unemployment lines at Centrelink.

"That's humbling, but by the same token it makes you understand how a lot of people live," she said.

After being among the hardest-working councillors, Ms Englart struggles to explain how she feels.

"I'm not happy about it. I'm very ... it's a diminishing feeling."

"The really sad part in a way is - and it's not really sad - but I'm exactly the same person I was eight weeks ago when I was a councillor."

"I have the same intelligence, I have the same sense of humour, I have the same outlook on life and I have the same ideals and philosophies."

"This happened to me eleven years ago when I was made redundant when the company was taken over and, as an unknown, I stood for council," she said.

"It's like standing at the edge of a precipice."

"I'm waiting for that bolt out of the blue," Ms Englart said.

Meanwhile, Ms Englart has a new hairstyle, working for charity and keeping fit by walking around parts of Prince Henry Drive and is lowering her "PB".

Michelle Schneider, who was 11th in the poll, is helping her father Reg Laurie at the family business Tews Transport.

"There was a staff change at the depot at Christmas and Dad has been on his own for three months - and now I'm there helping - it was meant to be."

"I'm in a good place."

Her performance persona Ruby Slipperz is having a break from the entertainment and media industry and instead working on an album that she was always going to finish.

"That part of my life is on hold and now I can go to kindy groups," Mrs Schneider said.

Michele Alroe is tidying up on the many administrative duties left in the air at her husband Damian's legal practice and helping finalise arrangements for the Friends of St Vincent's Charity Golf Day.

She's coping with the frustration of a foot in plaster and looking forward to life after plaster with a new career or running another small business.

Keith Beer is back making burgers and fried and doing those little jobs he never got around to at his McDonald's outlets.

"I'm spending more time at the shop and a few more weekends away with the grandchildren at the unit up the north coast," he said.

"It's a more relaxed lifestyle."

Graham Barron is driving the courtesy bus for Whippell's Autos.

"I deliver people home and pick them up when their cars are being serviced."

"It's amazing the amount of people who recognise me and I'm enjoying mixing and helping people."

"I walk down the street and can hold my head high."

"I do it Monday to Friday and I'm enjoying it," Mr Barron said.

Failed mayoral candidate Snow Manners says his world is good.

"I took a holiday and took the children off to the Red Centre and climbed Ayres (sic) Rock and up the Oodnadatta Track."

"I'm back fiddling around with my land dealings, my bush block and trading stocks and shares."

"Generally I'm having a relaxed and happy time," he said.

When asked if he misses council, Mr Manners bluntly said "like a toothache."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home